Saturday, October 8, 2011

Adventure, excitement... a jedi craves not these things.... good thing I am a member of the Fellowship!

So here I am, a couple of days post Xi'an and feeling much better after a bout of homesickness that welled up as my cherished brother was getting married far away from me and I could not attend. There is so much to talk about, lets start with the trip itself. So, Xi'an is one of the oldest standing cities still in China with much of its ancient architecture still intact. As you can see in the picture across from this text, much of the city was full of a feeling of ancient and modern mixing together. It was surreal to know I was walking through buildings that had been standing longer than my own Country had been even discovered. Xi'an itself is considered to be the end gate for the Silk road, so in turn of course the markets are very East meets
West when it comes to how things are traded and bartered. I for example, did much of my shopping in the Muslim district where the Bazaar was. It was almost like some kind of dream, being able to walk in and out of so many shops, having people hawking over items and fighting over prices. I have become a rather cut-throat haggler because of this district. Some of the shop keepers knew me rather well and would say "We like you but fear you, you fight for your price while many people from the west just buy things and we enjoy the profit." another lady had to pull me aside and ask "please, do not cut me so deep when you fight for your price..." It was interesting because even then, they were trying to find a weakness to play so that they could get the upper hand on me and my money.



There was just so much happening in the time we went there. We spent time at the Giant Wild Goose Pagoda and climbed to the top. Where we "supposedly" had a chance to be close to a finger of Buddha, which I suppose is pretty intense if you want his finger. After which we tried to go to an Indian restaurant that was nearby, in turn got lost and went the wrong direction then asked a man in a suit playing hackysack with his waitresses if he knew where this place was. He decided to take us ALL the way across 3 city blocks in his suit to take foreigners to a restaurant that was not his and asked nothing in return, I was very grateful to say the least but he insisted that he had to get back "most likely to hackysack..." Apart from that fun little bit of running around we walked a section of the wall and enjoyed some time to ourselves.





























I also enjoyed watching an evening of Tang Dynasty music and theater and of course, who can go to Xi'an and not go see the Terracotta Warriors, this is my update for now. I need a totally separate blog post for my journey to Huashan Mountain and all of the stories that belong there so at this point I will leave you to read and enjoy my pictures. Until later this week when I am not so busy, ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment